Thursday, January 5, 2012

Make Your Own Laundry Powder

Have sensitive skin? Don't want fragrances lingering in your laundry? Want an eco-friendly detergent for less? Make your own using only a few simple ingredients found in the laundry isle of your local store.

Shopping List: 
1 - box borax
1 - box A&H Washing Soda
1 - box A&H Baking Soda
3 - bars Fels-Naptha Soap (See alternatives below)


Finely grate 3 bars Fels Naptha soap. I used a standard kitchen box grater.
Then in a large container, mix 1 full box Borax, 1 full box Washing soda, 1 half box Baking soda, and the grated soap. I add the baking soda for the extra odor neutralizer. When doing this, it is best to do it in a well ventilated area as the powder gets into the air.


To Wash:
Add 1 TBSP for regular loads, Add 2 TBSP for heavy loads. It is HE washer safe.
    If washing in cold water, it is best to mix with some warm water to dissolve before adding to load.

I have had great success with this detergent. It has cleaned stains out of clothes, even set in grease stains!

I would not recommend it for cloth diapering. It may void manufacture warranty. I use Maggie's Soap Nuts for my cloth diapers, and love them. 

As for alternative soap options. Fels Naptha soap does have some fragrance in it. I have chosen it as it also has stain removal capacity, every little bit helps. I have also used Ivory bar soap, sometimes I do half and half. Other bar soap options I have heard works are Castile bar soaps and Zote Soap. If you want no fragrance additives at all, I would recommend Castile bar soaps.


As a note, you may be wondering if Borax is safe, it has been a question I have heard. Just like any other cleaning product, keep it out of reach of children. Click here for a link if you want more details.

No comments:

Post a Comment